Pages

Sep 10, 2011

ON THE OUTS WITH HIPHOP...

I've spent alot of time trying to "figure out" the nuances of the men behind the music.Why does the nuvo matter? Why do they stand for each other (even when they are wrong)? Why does the "Boys Club" exist? As a woman, I had resigned myself to believing that I don't deserve to know why Hip-Hop is the way it is. Why I really don't matter when I'm in the realm of this culture. Why the only way I'll gain respect is to be like them or better than them at EVERYTHING in EVERY WAY...and still not be paid equally or get half of their respect.

I saw the spread of people at the VMAs cheering Chris Brown on. Kanye included. This juxtaposes the flack that we nay sayers get for hanging on to something that happened "a year ago". We get dismissed as "haters" and they get to be the forgivers who are progressive...I'm not feeling that. Why is it that no one in the Hip-Hop community shows up when it matters. I'm not calling for Chris' head on a platter.(It's too late for that) I don't want him to be the Germany of the Versailles Treaty. I just want things to be fair.

Karrine Steffans can write a tell-all biography about the ills of the Hip-Hop community and be blacklisted. Now, the woman can't get support when she claims to have been raped and beaten. She's a liar. She deserves to be punished for the rest of her life. No?


B.E.T blogs posted this trash that excuses her husband's infidelity on her "untruths"

"Karrine Steffans is like the permanent STD of entertainment news.

Just when you think talk of her has been caput for good here she comes like a vicious bumpy outbreak.
Why is she in the press now?
Well, it seems Media Take Out got a hold of her divorce papers and in them they claim that husband, Darius McCrary – who was claiming not to be really married to her, but whatever – dipped out on her because she wouldn’t stop lying.
I know, I know: I’m terribly shocked by that, too.
According to court documents Eddie Winslow branded Superhead a “compulsive liar” and said she lied on “just above everything.”
One of her biggest lies was faking a pregnancy.
That sounds about right for an ex-video girl and celebrated groupie, doesn’t it?
Because of all these lies, Darius says he cheated on her. That’s when Karrine filed for divorce.
Nice bit of irony for a woman who happily had sex with publicly happily married men."
SOURCE:

There is a Facebook page dedicated to "Rihanna deserving Chris to beat her up"

The first comment says "I think the bitch had it coming, yo ucant hit a guy over and over and expect he aint gon snap, come on now"

Aside from women being villanized for being abused. We get a little more than ZERO respect in this industry.
THIS SERIOUSLY PISSES ME OFF!
One of my favourite directors: Vashtie Kola.
She has spent years trying to make a career for herself and in every other interview, she is labeled as "Pharrell's Ex Girlfriend." REALLY! I shit you not. If you follow her blog, you will see the reason why I am so pissed about this. She works so hard to create her own brand and people keep pigeon holing her as "Pharrell's EX".

  •  Vashtie is the first woman to design a Jordan! THAT'S HISTORY!!! Totally a less fitting title than "Pharrell's Ex Girlfriend".
So What's the message to female viewers of mainstream hiphop culture. Essentially, it's:
  • Whatever happens to you is your fault.
  • Don't EVER sleep with anyone of importance. You will be in his shadow your whole career
  • You are disposable, so don't speak up when you have a grievance
  • Stand next to me at events and look pretty...exude feminist empowerment but don't say a word.
There are always exceptions to these cultural symptoms. Hip Hop artists are constantly defying the mold, but they aren't mainstream artists who smash the charts and have designer labels that people pay 100s of dollars to. The taste makers are the silent ones. As a woman, I'm seriously tired of having a "place" in this culture. Straddling the lines between the Cool, asexual, Madonna & the wild, insatiable, goldigging, fatal, whore.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...